My Autism Son's Fever and Difficulty Seeking Medical Care

My son who is  on the autism spectrum been running a fever and cough since morning and I believe it was time for him to have a consultation with a doctor. However, individuals with autism can face unique challenges when it comes to medical care.

My son struggles with sensory sensitivities and difficulty with transitions, making it difficult for him to go to new places or to unfamiliar healthcare settings. Additionally, he may have difficulty communicating his symptoms or concerns due because he is non-verbal.

Before the appointment, I demo the scenario as what will be expected during the consultation at home. Pretend play with doctor set is helpful to help him understand what would happen and to prepare him for the experience.

On top of that, I will do pre- communication with the GP regarding on information about my son's autism and any specific concerns or needs that he may have.



Comments